Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Shopping for Women's Cardigan

I have a problem that every OL faces. Especially for those who work in corporate world and will meet managers, Datuks and VPs quite often (although they will not remember this small peanut junior executive like me).

I like sleeveless dresses and blouses but I cannot wear them to office just like that! Not to mention the ridiculous below knee-length skirts and covered shoes, plus the "please-put-on-makeup" rule. Akibatnya, I wear long pants on a daily basis (although sometimes I wear skirts as well). But don't you all women (who read this blog of course) agree with me that sleeveless blouses and dresses are usually the most fashionable ones?

There is one way to wear those sleeveless fashionable clothes in the office of course. Outerwear. But what outerwear exactly? I have suit (reserved for meeting and to match my pants if I wear sleeveless), I have hoodie, I have sweater, I have coat and I have cardigan. If you do not have meeting on that day and you decided to wear some fashionable blouse and skirt, you will have that common sense that the suit is truly out of place in the name of fashion. Hoodie is out of the question as well, since it does not look professional in the office. Coat? You won't want to carry a heavy coat around the LRT (for those who take LRT like me). Sweater? Slightly unprofessional-looking, I would say.

It then boils down to just cardigan. Cardigans, in my honest opinion, is the most versatile outerwear for any woman who is fashion-conscious. You can easily match any office wear with cardigans. Cardigans are not limited to just sleeveless blouses; you can wear long sleeved-blouse and match it with a lovely cardigan as well. I have two in fact; black H&M and grey Cotton On cardigans respectively. Well of course, cardigans are not only limited to office wear, unlike suits. You can wear cardigans for a casual outing, a movie session in a cinema, a date night and even an evening party. Long story short, cardigans are categorized as "must-have" in any woman's wardrobe list.

You have two choices; head to the nearest shopping mall or start online shopping right with your laptop/smartphone (nowadays people use their phones for anything literally!). I would recommend the latter due to the honest reasons below;

1. For those living in KL:
- Human traffic (if you use public transport) or massive road jam (if you drive).
- Increased public transport fares (if you use public transport) and toll hike (if you drive).
Seriously, these reasons are more than enough.

2. For those living outside KL (who hail from Sarawak, like me *ahem*):
- Not much choices.
- Usually, those brand names (H&M, Cotton On, Mango, Esprit etc) ship over the unfinished stock from KL to East Malaysia so that they can bring in new stock for sale. So you get old stock if you shop in Sarawak (sad right).
I still love Sarawak though.

Hence, Sarawakians like me will always opt for online shopping. When I was in Sarawak, I got to choose up-to-date fashion and had them delivered right up to my doorstep instead of flying all the way to KL to shop. Now that I live in KL, I am much closer to all those fashionable brand names (f block, Dressing Paula, Topshop etc). Yet I still shop online, because of the reasons mentioned above.

Online shopping is pretty risky though. You do not get to see the actual product UNTIL you have it delivered right up to your doorstep. You risk having the goods:

1. Damaged and could not be returned once delivered. You are unable to check the condition of the goods beforehand because common sense, delivery is a one-way thing. Couriering back the damaged goods means paying another sum of postage fees and you may not guarantee getting something similar. Scary right?

2. Not as expected from the catalogue. Sometimes, it's the photographer's skills that sells the product instead of the product itself. The angle was so good that you were sold, but when the actual product arrives at the doorstep, it may be different from what you expected.

3. Size may not be right. Measurements vary for each brand. Again, the trouble of exchanging goods.

Sounds so ironic for someone who claims to shop online often.

I only have three online websites which I am loyal to. Those are Zalora, Lazada and PMC (Pestle 7 Mortar Clothing) respectively. Zalora because it has gazillion choices of everything any human being wears, provides 30-day goods return policy and COD (Cash on Delivery). Lazada because it is cheap. PMC because it is fashionable and during Black Friday it gets super cheap (free delivery as well leh).

However, the bad news is I can only buy cardigans from Zalora because those mentioned online shopping sites do not sell cardigans. Zalora has different types of women's cardigans which not only scores excellently in fashion sense, but also reasonably priced. Basically, the women's cardigans are divided into three types as below, with a slight touch of fashion advice.

1. Cotton Cardigan

Image obtained from Zalora.my
For the individuals who prefer a simple look and outerwear which can be worn as a day-
to-day outfit can opt for a nice cotton cardigan. Cotton cardigan gives women that cute
sweet appeal and brings out your feminine side to others. Besides that, this type of
cardigan is suitable for women to wear on a day out as it has a very lightweight material.
The cotton cardigans are perfect for women to add into their closet as they will never go
out of style.

2. Knitted

Image obtained from Zalora.my
Meanwhile, ladies who want outer wears that can give you that warmth feeling will love
the knitted cardigans and sweaters. The knitter outer wear absolutely makes you feel
comfortable in cold settings or weather and still look stylish effortlessly.  Layer it on top
of your t-shirt or tank tops and enjoy the comfort of the knitted wool material.

3. Long Panels

Image obtained from Zalora.my
Some of the ladies will also prefer a more modern yet chic appearance and the long
panel cardigan will definitely do the trick. Show off that hipster look and still appear
modestly stylish. The long panels are great to be matched with a nice pair of jeans or
even shorts.

Now that you know where to shop for your cardigan, all I can say is...

HAPPY SHOPPING!

No comments: