Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Challenge Accepted

My fingers do not look like one, but I am a qualified pianist. A pianist who holds a Grade 8 certificate. Yet, I have stopped playing since 2007 (wow that's like 5 years) ever since I passed my Grade 8. Now don't get me wrong. I like piano a lot. It's just that I am not a person who is able to put stress and fun together at the same time. As piano examinations get tougher and tougher, I begin hating piano because I am merely playing for the sake of passing, not for the sake of leisure. Hence, I stopped playing.

The piano thing came back last year when I attended Uncle Johnny's cell group. Occasionally, I went to play piano at his house and exercise my stiff fingers. I need to warm up after taking such a long break. My roommate also tried to learn piano by her own attempt and managed to play a couple of songs. I, on the other hand, took piano lightly until one day, no one played piano for the cell group, and naturally, since I was the only one there, I had to play piano. Here comes the big problem.

I never play gospel piano chords before.

All this while I am trained to be a performer and played songs instead of playing chords to accompany songs. It was a challenge definitely, plus I had not touched piano for a long time. My knowledge for harmony and chords have somewhat gone rusty. At least I still remember I-IV-V (augmented) and V-I (perfect). Hehe.

This does not end there. Few weeks ago, a friend of mine invited me to attend an Anglican church service specially catered for students (mostly from Sabah...why...). I joined and the very next week I joined Uncle Johnny for lunch. We had a chat regarding the service and out of the blue I suddenly asked this question (until today I still do not know WHY ON EARTH WILL I ASK SUCH QUESTION ><):

"Uncle, do they need any pianist for the service?"

Oh my goodness. Why would I even ask such question? And coincidentally, the pianist, who is also the worship leader, will be graduating soon. Hence, there will be no pianist and they will need a pianist. Sounds like it is planned, huh? I asked for volunteer and they will be short of pianist soon. Look at how God works His wonders. I guess it is a calling, huh? For me to serve the church and God. I am not a really good singer so I need to have some other ways to praise Him. How? By utilizing the skill that I have learned for years, which is by playing piano.

Problem is, I never played chords before. I am so used and accustomed to performance style (melody + accompaniment; melody chords + accompaniment chords) that I am not used to play accompaniment on both hands. It is something totally new to me. Honestly. What if I screw up during the service like how I screwed up during the cell group (luckily most of them are nice so they do not mind)?

Oh well, I guess there is a reason for me to learn piano until Grade 8 and me suddenly wanting to be a volunteer. Serving God is a way of glorifying His name and His greatness, and it is a calling for me to do so. Serving Him is a way of thanking Him for saving me from despair for so many times. I realized that I am a much happier person now (thanks to Him definitely). I see world more positively, and there is no such thing as "no way out".

Okay, Jesus, challenge accepted. I will overcome this challenge, master gospel chords and serve You professionally and enthusiastically.

No comments: